Sunday, February 15, 2009

Emotions ... *&(*&#!


A view of Kigali ... everywhere you look





This morning was a tough one. Serge (Jen’s husband) gave his testimony about receiving his visa for Canada. He shared his frustrations with the waiting and constant negative answers he kept receiving. (Did I mention that he did receive his visa? He and Jen are now in Canada, and the interns are on our own!) His whole testimony was surrounding Psalm 46:10 – “Be still and know that I am God …” It really hit home for me. Be still and know that I am God. Just be still, Emily … and know that I am God. Its that simple. I heard God speaking directly to me. After church, as the girls (Natasha and Jocelyn) and I stepped outside of the guest house where we had been chatting with the short-term team and were about to head home, I just broke down. Well, as much as I would allow myself to. I don’t cry in front of people very often, so when I do it’s a big deal – and its an even bigger deal when I cry in front of people I don’t really know. Don’t get me wrong, I’m friends with my fellow interns, but I don’t feel like we’re at the point where we really, truly know each other. Does that make sense?

I guess its just that the homesickness and anxiety all came to a head and hit at once. I miss my community and comfort. I feel like I should say more, but that basically says it all. I miss my community and comfort. And … I’m ready to be emotionally stable again!

* * * * *

Natasha had her hair braided by one of the women from Ubuzima today. It was quite interesting having two Rwandans in our house all afternoon who spoke no English! We had to call David, one of the ITeams volunteers who works with us a lot, to translate a couple times over the phone. What we thought was charades for water to wash with, was actually lotion/Vaseline to use for the braids. They were still here for dinner, so they got to experience a Western meal. Pasta with white sauce and green beans. I’d love to know what they thought, but I guess we’ll never know! :)Those strange muzungus (white people)!

Here's my fellow interns ... Jocelyn & Natasha

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, friend. i will be praying for your adjustment. I think that in times when we feel so unfamiliar in our surroundings, it is an opportunity for us to embrace a fresh revelation of being citizens of the Kingdom of God. As the writer in hebrews says, "we are strangers and foreigners in this land we live" Hebrews 11:13-16 They confessed that they were strangers and foreigners on the earth, 14 for people who speak in this way make it clear that they are seeking a homeland. 15 If they had been thinking of the land that they had left behind, they would have had opportunity to return. 16 But as it is, they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God; indeed, he has prepared a city for them.

we are citizens of heaven...Ephesians 2:19-22 So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are citizens with the saints and also members of the household of God, 20 built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the cornerstone. 21 In him the whole structure is joined together and grows into a holy temple in the Lord; 22 in whom you also are built together spiritually into a dwelling place for God.

love you