Sunday, February 1, 2009

Touchdown in Rwanda

Yes, I’m here!

Its now been 5 days since I arrived in Rwanda. I’m slowly adjusting … more slower than I hoped, but I knew that would be the case coming into this. The first few days were REALLY rough. Lots of homesickness, ache for the lack of connection with dear friends, fighting the desire to say ‘yes’ if someone said I could hop on a plane and come home … just simply being overwhelmed by it all.

The thing is, there really hasn’t been that much to be overwhelmed about. We haven’t been hit by too much all at once. I think its been more of my own mind making me crazy.

I didn’t sleep at all the first night. But every night has gotten better – I’m starting to wake up and forget for a moment that I’m in Africa. So that’s a good sign, right? Oh, and I dreamed about the tv show LOST too … so my mind must be getting back to normal.

Because things with ITeams Rwanda have been a little hectic this week with visitors coming in all at once, and the 3rd intern just arriving on Friday, we are finally starting to get into the “nitty gritty.”

I’m living with 2 other interns, Natasha and Jocelyn. Its interesting – I can already tell how we all have different personalities and how those will work well to balance each other out. It'll be challenging, but good. I guess you could say they are both more free spirits and are all about the adventure and trying new things … whereas I’m the more “grounded” one who kinda thinks through things more and says, “wait, let’s find out which bus route is the right one so we actually get home.” We kinda need each other to be the thing that we’re not. Interesting how the sermon today at church touched on the fact that we each have our own spiritual gifts and how they work together in the Kingdom. Well, in so many words ...

Our house is rather daunting ... in Rwanda, there isn’t a middle class. Its either upper or lower class. When I post pictures, you won’t think I’m in Rwanda! But, they’ve told us its important we are as comfortable as possible, since there will be enough culture shock and adjustment as it is. But I’m still taking bucket baths, so that part feels like Africa. :)

We took our first trip to the market yesterday ... this felt more like Africa. Scary for me, but eventually it’ll be good. Right? Its kinda one of your typical Africa experiences. Well, at least in my opinion. We’re staying in the city of Kigali (capital of Rwanda) so its been interesting comparing it to Malawi. In Malawi, I spent the majority of my time in a village, away from most “civilization” whereas in Rwanda, we’re living in the city. A very different feel. Doesn’t feel as much like Africa because of all the development. A lot of people are losing their homes because the government/city wants to build on their property. In fact, one of the members of the church I’ll be attending could be moving into our house because of this. It’ll be interesting to see how the “feel” changes once I get into working with the people and ministries. I think its been hard for me to feel like I’m here because I haven’t had much personal contact with Rwandans yet.

Tomorrow we’re meeting with Jen, the missionary here who is our team leader (and who helped start ITeams Rwanda) to start to map out our schedules and what specific ministries we will be a part of. In talking to Jocelyn and Natasha, I think what we desire out of this experience, how we want to be in ministry and both give and get, are all different. So it’ll be fun to see how each of our stories play out. And it kinda confirms for me that my own heart and compassion are giftings and not necessarily just a given for anyone doing this kind of work. More to come about that one ...

We’re also going to the Genocide Memorial tomorrow – something that, believe it or not, I’ve been looking forward to. Yes, it’ll be rough, but I think it will bring me into Rwanda in a whole other level.

Okay, its 11:30 (Rwanda time) and I really should have been sleeping by now … more to come!

No comments: