Thursday, February 5, 2009

Traveling "Fun"

Tuesday we got a lesson on the bus routes in Kigali ... and oh, I was SO overwhelmed. I fought back the tears. All I could think was I can’t do this and wondered how I would ever find my way around and figure this out. BUT, I went home and studied the map Jen gave us and tried to visualize the city, which helped. It was rather amusing listening to Natasha and I try to get our bearings ... fighting and laughing at the same time.

Today each of the interns got a personal assignment to travel around the city. Yesterday was suppose to be our day to practice together, but it rained all day. Surprisingly, I didn’t freak! Had to be the peace of God with me. It was a pretty exhausting day though. First, you have to picture the buses in Rwanda. They’re not our big city buses, but more like rundown minivans cram-packed with people. There’s a driver and then a “money-collector” who shouts out the destination area. So you can’t understand anything they’re saying, you just listen for the name of the destination. Anyway, I found the first location on my assigned journey just fine and thought, “okay, I can do this!” But then it went down hill from there. I missed a stop, got on the wrong bus, took a route that was probably out of the way, and then when I finally ended up in town it was raining and the bus pulled into some alley and just sat there. Rwandans run for cover when it rains so no one wanted to get off the bus. I was soaked by the time I met the girls. But on the way, I made a new friend from Zimababwe who lived in London for awhile and now he’s working here. We were both commiserating about the odd parking fiasco and huge puddle we had to jump over from the bus ... invited him to our church. He was excited about attending an English service. Guess they’re hard to come by here.

after my bus ride adventure

Had my first request for my phone number/email today too ... which is very common here. He was the “new friend” of the first leg of my trip. We chatted as we walked. He found out I was from the States and immediately started talking about Obama. Said I was “Obama’s daughter” because Obama was like the father of our country now. Its crazy how much people love Obama here!! One of the computers in the internet café I go to has an “Obama Jesus” as the wallpaper. And I think I even saw a shop that was all Obama merchandise!

Oh, and for all my Kentucky folk, I’ve seen a guy with a UK sweatshirt twice!!

Anyway, it was a crazy day, but I’m so proud of myself ... and relieved. I can get around by myself!

Keep in touch ... and comment away on this blog - I love to read them!

3 comments:

Dsho said...

Glad you made it!

Anonymous said...

Emily, thanks for posting so often. I am really enjoying hearing about your adventures. It's exciting to see you stepping up to the challenges! I am praying for you.

Mona said...

Hey - Can you believe I finally caught up and read all these...and am "posting" ? This is all so amazing. I love hearing about all this. All is in divine order ya know. Ya can't go around to get to the other side, ya have to go thru the experiences...every single one. You are doing a great job of doing that and of being yourself. I am always so proud of you!