Friday, March 6, 2009

Relationships

Me, Alice, & her husband Fabrise

Something clicked today. Relationships are on the up-and-up! All of a sudden I found myself in the midst of a friendship … it was one that I saw a potential spark in previously, but can’t really explain how it began today. Its almost like when someone decides they want to connect with you, the relationship has begun. Or maybe its just the Holy Spirit. That’s how a lot of my close relationships happened in Malawi. I knew some of them for the entire time I was there, but it wasn’t until a few weeks before I left that the friendships actually formed – and it wasn’t a gradual thing, it was instant. I couldn’t name what happened or what connected us. The only explanation was that we were bound by the Spirit, because apart from God, we had nothing in common to connect us or to build on. That was our common denominator … and from there, the relationship grows.

So perhaps my relationships will happen here just as they did in Malawi … and I’ve always kind of known they would. I’ve known I needed to just be patient and trust that God would make them happen when it was time. And maybe now its time. All I can do is keep trusting and waiting … trusting and waiting – a lesson that seems to come up in every area of life, and sometimes I wonder if I’ll ever really master it. But that could be a whole other blog!

No comments: