Wednesday, March 11, 2009

What Will Come of Your Love?

Tomorrow we go house-visiting for Ubuzima. Although its always an exhausting day, Thursdays are some of my favorites. But I was wondering yesterday, how much good do we do when we visit these people? How much do we do period? Its usually only for 15 minutes or so, sometimes longer, and the communication is all done through a translator so there’s really only so far we can go in conversation. Most of the time its just hi, how are you, how many children do you have, do you have an income, we pray and then off we go. It feels meaningless sometimes, like why do we even go? What’s the point? But it is a big deal for these women. Just to be able to welcome us into their home for a short time is an honor to them. And you’d be surprised at how far one verse of Scripture goes, too. And, perhaps, its an encouragement just to know that there are others praying for them … that our presence speaks to that. Pretty humbling. But I’m still not sure I “get it” all the way, still having a hard time understanding the value and meaning behind what we’re doing. But I just go where they tell me, or rather where God tells me, and leave the rest in His hands.

Sometimes we ask people if they have any questions for us. Ususally we get things like, “how do you find Rwanda?” (aka, what do you think of Rwanda). But last week one lady, her name was Pascellisa, talked about it was evident how much we loved them. I wanted to ask her how she knew that, what she saw in us to make her believe that. But there’s only so far you can go in situations like these. Then she asked us, “So if you love us, what will come of that love?” None of us had an answer. She stumped us … and I think I can probably speak for all of us when I say we’re still thinking about that one.

No comments: