Monday, March 2, 2009

A couple fun stories

This past weekend I experienced my first Rwandan basketball game! They were having some kind of East African tournament here in Kigali and the stadium isn’t far from our house. So the three muzungus ventured off to brave the crowds. On our way, we saw parades of celebration in the street from the previous game. Once we figured out how and where to buy tickets (about $4), we followed the crowd to wait behind the entrance gate. Our “personal space” quickly went out the window. We were literally sandwiched together and I almost got trampled on when the guards tried moving everyone back from the gate. It was quite the experience!

The crowd was all into it! The stadium was probably smaller than my high school’s gym, so it was packed. It was Rwanda vs Kenya -- Rwanda won! All in all, it was a good time … and I think I might have got a taste of what UK basketball games might be like.

* * * * * *

We had a mouse in our house last week. It was BIG ... so maybe it was a rat? Natasha and I both were scared of it ... in our attempt to get it out, we prayed that God would help us. Then our neighbor (who I've only talked to once) pulled up and we asked him to help us. He's a Rwandan and thought we were crazy. "You do not have these animals in America?" he asked. Of course we do ... but we're still scared of them! But get this ... his name was God! (maybe its short for Godfrey??) So God literally came to our rescue. :)

No comments: