Tuesday, March 3, 2009

HW Club Progress

This morning was HW club again. I had started to freak out … again. BUT, I actually kinda had fun. Now, don’t faint. Yes, I said “had fun.” I made a couple more worksheets but didn’t use them because I still had one from last time that I hadn’t given out. It was a “conversation” worksheet asking them questions about themselves like their name, age, favorite color. They had to write the answers in complete sentences in English. Some got it really fast, but I think it was still good for them to practice. Others caught on really quickly, and then others (probably Primary 3) didn’t really get it at all until I basically did it for them. At this point, that’s really the only way I know how to teach since I can’t speak Kinyarwanda to be able to explain it. I have to hope that they learn by example. Sometimes I can get a translator to help, but even then I get stumped and am not quite sure how to explain it. But I got by! The kids love to learn … or else they just love to learn English. Probably a combination of both. One of the questions was “Who is your best friend?” Their answers: “My best friend is Emily.” :)(but keep in mind a lot of their answers were the same as their neighbors … but hey, as long as their learning to write sentences). We’ll see.

After the English worksheets, I gave them addition and subtraction problems on flashcards and they had to race to give me the answers. The one that was the first to answer correctly the most won a small prize. They loved this! But I found that even if they weren’t first, they still were so excited to have me check their answers. So this is something I’ll definitely have to do again.

SO, I might not be as on top of things as Jocelyn and Natasha … but I’m slowly coming around. The fact that I didn’t dread today was good, right?!

No comments: